Five-time Pro Bowler Richard Sherman released a statement Thursday regarding his arrest early this week, saying he “vows to get the help” he needs.
Earlier this week, NFL cornerback Richard Sherman was arrested in Seattle after he crashed his vehicle in Seattle, Washington. Prior to the crash, he was involved in an altercation involving his in-laws, attempting to break down the door to his father-in-law’s house.
Sherman was arrested and has been officially charged with five crimes. Two counts of domestic violence, criminal trespass in the second degree, malicious mischief in the third degree, resisting arrest, driving while under the influence and reckless endangerment of roadway workers, according to ESPN.
On Thursday, he released a statement about the incident, where he took responsibility and admitted that he needs help.
Richard Sherman releases statement about arrest, reveals personal battles
Since his arrest, Sherman has stayed under the radar. The All-Pro cornerback hadn’t said much about his legal situation and had been relatively quiet on social media. That changed on Thursday, as he released a statement on Twitter about the incident, revealing that he’s been having some personal battles the past few months.
“I am deeply remorseful for my actions on Tuesday night. I behaved in a manner I am not proud of. I have been dealing with some personal challenges over the last several months, but that is not an excuse for how I acted…I vow to get the help I need. I appreciate all of the people who have reached out in support,” Sherman said in a statement posted to his Twitter account.
Sherman appeared in court Thursday, and the judge released him without bail with several conditions. His arraignment will be on Friday, but the cornerback does not have to present, only his attorney. Sherman is expected to plead not guilty on all charges, according to the prosecuting attorney’s office.