Belmont Stakes payout breakdown: How much prize money will the winner get in 2023?


The Belmont Stakes won’t produce a Triple Crown winner after Mage came up short in the Preakness Stakes three weeks ago, but there is still plenty at stake in New York on Saturday.

Forte, the Kentucky Derby favorite before being withdrawn from the race, enters as the betting favorite for the Belmont, while Tapit Trice, Angel of Empire and Preakness winner National Treasure follow close behind. 

Mage, meanwhile, will be held out of the Belmont Stakes after falling short of an opportunity to win the Triple Crown. The Belmont hasn’t featured a Triple Crown hopeful in a traditional year since Justify made history in 2018. The exception came in 2020, when the Belmont was the first of the three Triple Crown races after the COVID-19 pandemic shifted the schedule.

MORE: Full draw & odds for 2023 Belmont Stakes

How much money will the Belmont Stakes winner earn? Here’s what you need to know about the purse and payout breakdown for the race.

What is the Belmont Stakes purse in 2023?

This year’s Belmont Stakes purse is $1.5 million, which is equal to the Preakness Stakes purseThat’s the same amount as the last two Belmont Stakes races and $500,000 more than the race in 2020, when the purse was reduced amid the COVID-19 pandemic. 

How much money does the Belmont Stakes winner get?

While the total purse is the same as last year, the winner of the Belmont Stakes will receive a larger share in 2023: $900,000, which is 60 percent of the total purse, will go to the winner, an increase from $800,000 in 2022. That leaves 40 percent of the purse for the next seven finishers.

MORE: Full results from 2023 Preakness Stakes

Prize money breakdown for Belmont Stakes 2023

The payout will be distributed differently this year, with the winner receiving $900,000, an increase from last year’s $800,000. The second-place finisher will receive $270,000, or 18 percent of the total purse, and the next six finishers will receive payouts as well. 

Here’s the full breakdown for the Belmont Stakes purse.

Place Prize money
1 $900,000
2 $270,000
3 $150,000
4 $75,000
5 $45,000
6 $30,000
7 $15,000
8 $15,000

Belmont Stakes prize money compared to other Triple Crown races

The Belmont Stakes purse is half the size of the Kentucky Derby’s $3 million purse and equal to the Preakness Stakes purse of $1.5 million, although that race’s payout breakdown is slightly different.

Race Date Purse (2023 figures)
Kentucky Derby May 6, 2023 $3 million
Preakness Stakes May 20, 2023 $1.5 million
Belmont Stakes June 10, 2023 $1.5 million

Articles You May Like

Why Spencer Pratt Doesn’t Want Heidi Montag on Real Housewives
Watch Sister Wives Online: Season 18 Episode 6
The Old Oak review – trades largely on didacticism and sentimentality
Michael Gambon, protagonista de Harry Potter, muere a los 82 años
Fanatic Feed: Shelley Hennig & Nick Zano’s Obliterated Trailer, Late Night TV Returns, and More!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *